or so it would appear.
I promised my little grand-daughter when they went back to school, I would make one of her favorites . New England Clam Chowder. It seems appropiate for this cool, damp September day.
My family does put the word "comfort" in comfort foods and while we are all together we have been enjoying foods that we ate as children and foods that we find 'Comforting".
I lost my tried and true recipe during the move back home in June. But my dear friend Miss Laurie, was so sweet and shared this one with me which I will make for the family tonight.
New England Clam Chowder
1 medium onion, choppped (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup cut-up bacon or lean salt pork (we always used bacon)
2 cans (8 ounces) minced clams, drained (reserve liquid)
1 cup finely chopped potato
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
2 cups milk
Notations (we also added a slight bit of celery with the onion as it was cooking with the bacon)Cook and stir onion and bacon in 2-quart saucepan until onion is tender and bacon is crisp. Add enough water, if necessary, to reserved clam liquid to measure 1 cup. Stir clams, liquid, potato, salt and pepper into onion mixture. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in milk; heat through, stirring occasionally. (6 servings)This is a light, wholesome, yet creamy soup! Not too heavy!
Now, Grammy, we used to have over 50 people (with 10 children, just immediate family was 50 people) at the family get-togethers, so we quadrupled this recipe! Yummmy!Enjoy!
I think I will have to quadruple this recipe too! Your a dear for sharing it with me sweetie.
Check out Laurie's blog: http://maybeillblog.blogspot.com
Hugs & Prayers, GG
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I've NEVER had clam chowder. Should I be sad? Hope you have a marvelous, blessed weekend.
Well, it is one of those things that people either love or hate. I know this, having been on both coasts ....... eating it on the East coast just makes the experience that much more authentic lol. I hope you have a beautiful weekend too Parsley!
Hugs, GG
OK........This chowder was just totally yummy. It was much easier than my original recipe and my entire family loved it ! Thank you again Laurie! You rock!
Hugs, GG
Post a Comment