Sunday, March 1, 2009

How Many of these do you remember................

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?
It took five minutes for the TV warm up?
Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?
Nobody owned a purebred dog?
When a quarter was a decent allowance?
You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?
Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?
Your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels?
Your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?
Detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?
It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?
They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. . . and they did?
No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?
Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?
And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace,and share it with the children of today?

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?
Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.
Who can still remember Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Laurel and Hardy, Howdy Dowdy and the Peanut Gallery, the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows,Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and ButtermilkAs well as summers filled with bike rides, baseball games, Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.


Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember that"? neighbors came and visitied on the porch.. huge family dinners ... lighting bugs ... yoyos, pogo sticks, the ice cream man ... poodle skirts and S&H green stamps ... gloves and hats when you dress up ... mohair sweaters , letter jackets.

In the summer we played jacks, hopscotch and jump rope and in the winter we rode sleds and built snowmen until we were so cold we hurt so we'd go in and play board games in front of the heater.

Sometimes Mom would allow us to pop some pop corn (in a heavy pan with a lid on top of the stove). Remember how special we felt when we got hot chocolate to go with that popcorn?

Do you remember selling soda pop bottles to the store for spending money.

Usually a nickle or a dime, but it was enough to buy a treat.
How many of these do you remember?


Hugs, GG

4 comments:

Laurie and Bill said...

Well, if I'm really truthful here, I remember every single one of those listed.

Although I'm sure I was watching reruns of Laurel and Hardy, Roy and Dale, etc.

I can remember black and white TV with rabbit ears too.

I can remember my mom buying groceries and saving her sale receipts to get the free dishware.

We never locked our house doors either.

LOL! I'm old! Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Patricia Miller said...

Well, I don't remember all of them, but a pretty decent chunk of the list has memories attached for me.

The part about capturing lightening bugs got me. I always tried my darndest to find Tinkerbell (and truly believed I could!)

Thanks for the memories, GG!

Ella said...

I don't remember all of these, this list was sent to me in an email, but I remember quiet a few.

I still have some precious dishes and mixing bowls my grand-mother got with her S&H green stamps.

Hugs, GG

Laura said...

I remember just about everything mentioned, and the ones I don't remember directly are things I heard about from family! And I'll still reach in a muddy gutter for a penny! ;)