
This Sunday's dinner will be the same one we make every year the day of the St Patrick's Day Parade in our City.
People scrambling home from morning services before they block off all the primary routes.
We have a great view of the parade right from our porch , a blessing some years . Very noisy others.
This weekend's weather is predicted to be very heavy rain.
This weekend's weather is predicted to be very heavy rain.
I have not heard that they have cancelled the parade yet. There have been years when we have had snow flying and they continue down the street.
It's the day to get your Girl Scout cookies, and see neighbors you may see only once a year.
It's the day to get your Girl Scout cookies, and see neighbors you may see only once a year.
I am hoping to get to CVS tomorrow for ear-plugs , as the older I get, I don't seem to enjoy the crashing cymbals and drums and horns..... I will however be making dinner for my family.
With a smile and my earplugs in .
Love in Christ, Ella
Corned Beef and Cabbage
2- 4-6 pound corned beef briskets
4-5 bay leaves
¼ C. pickling spices
¼ C black peppercorns
12 white boiling or Red potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
2lbs carrots, cut into pieces
3 onions, quartered
1 sleeve of celery cut into chunks
2 small turnips, cut into chunks
3 small cabbage, cut into wedges
1 tablespoon salt
Directions
In a large pot combine meat, spices, onions , celery and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 4-5 hours. Add vegetables and salt. Simmer 90 minutes more.
To finish, remove corned beef to a carving board and slice against the grain. Get one of your Grandmother’s huge deep platters ….. Arrange vegetables around meat and serve.
This makes enough to feed my family of 11 and enough to feed an extra one or two surprise guest.
Serve with a good brown mustard, vinegar, picked eggs, Good bread ( Brown bread with Raisins) and butter! No margarine. Dessert Crumb cake & Cheese Cake !!!!!
Yummy !
With a smile and my earplugs in .
Love in Christ, Ella
Corned Beef and Cabbage
2- 4-6 pound corned beef briskets
4-5 bay leaves
¼ C. pickling spices
¼ C black peppercorns
12 white boiling or Red potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
2lbs carrots, cut into pieces
3 onions, quartered
1 sleeve of celery cut into chunks
2 small turnips, cut into chunks
3 small cabbage, cut into wedges
1 tablespoon salt
Directions
In a large pot combine meat, spices, onions , celery and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 4-5 hours. Add vegetables and salt. Simmer 90 minutes more.
To finish, remove corned beef to a carving board and slice against the grain. Get one of your Grandmother’s huge deep platters ….. Arrange vegetables around meat and serve.
This makes enough to feed my family of 11 and enough to feed an extra one or two surprise guest.
Serve with a good brown mustard, vinegar, picked eggs, Good bread ( Brown bread with Raisins) and butter! No margarine. Dessert Crumb cake & Cheese Cake !!!!!
Yummy !

6 comments:
Coming from Northern Ireland, I was amazed when I first learned that many from the US eat corned beef and cabbage on St Patrick's day. We don't have a tradition of eating this and I wonder where this came from? Have you any idea?
Christine,
We have just always celebrated this "holiday" with this particular meal. We are not even Irish ....That I know of lol. But your question intrigued me and I found this link which was really fun and informative to read : http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/holidays/st_patricks_day.htm
The last "fact" is about corned beef and cabbage -
Blessings, Ella
Huh? Oh let me take out my earplugs. (hee hee)
We eat the same thing every year too (except I put long sliced carrots in mine). And my husband loves that brown mustard but has to have his horseradish too. lol
We don't have a parade around here, but with us both having a wee bit o' the Irish in our ancestry - I think a parade would be fun (with earplugs for me too of course).
Thanks for sharing Ella. It sounds sooooo good!
Thanks so much for the very interesting link! I never knew the Chicago river is dyed green as part of the celebrations!
Enjoy your dinner!
Christine
Deb ~~
The parade is a lot of fun...I think I am just getting older and cranky ....lol.
The kids love the parade and are excited to go.
My Mother loves horseradish sauce with her CB too. Half Horseradish /half Miracle Whip....
Blessings, Ella
Christine ~~
Your welcome. Isn't that something, they really do dye the Chicago River green....Our local celebrations are much smaller , but everyone seems to enjoy them.
Blessings, Ella
Post a Comment