
These are cute ..... I actually made them a couple of years ago.
BONUS CRAFT!
Tom Turkey Hot Pads
Expect to gobble up compliments when you crochet these whimsical hot pads from designer Beverly M., Apache Junction, Arizona. These turkeys are sure to make a return appearance year after year.
Tom Turkey Hot Pads
Expect to gobble up compliments when you crochet these whimsical hot pads from designer Beverly M., Apache Junction, Arizona. These turkeys are sure to make a return appearance year after year.
Materials Needed (for one):
Worsted-weight yarn—3 ounces of white ( Beverly used Red Heart Soft White yarn);
and small amounts each of brown, gold, green, orange, red and yellow
Size J/10 (6mm) crochet hook
Two 7mm glue-on wiggle eyes
Fabric glue
Yarn or tapestry needle
Scissors
Gauge: Working with two strands of yarn as one, 3 scs and 3 rows = 1 inch. Slight variations in gauge will change the finished size a bit.
Finished Size: Turkey hot pad measures about 8 inches wide x 7 inches high.
Directions:
HOT PAD: Working with two strands of white yarn as one, ch 21.
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch across, ch 1, turn: 20 scs.
Row 2: Sc in each st across, ch 1, turn: 20 scs.
Rows 3-20: Repeat Row 2: 20 scs.
Ch 10, sl st in last st of Row 20 for hanging loop. Fasten off.
Use yarn or tapestry needle to weave in all loose ends.
Size J/10 (6mm) crochet hook
Two 7mm glue-on wiggle eyes
Fabric glue
Yarn or tapestry needle
Scissors
Gauge: Working with two strands of yarn as one, 3 scs and 3 rows = 1 inch. Slight variations in gauge will change the finished size a bit.
Finished Size: Turkey hot pad measures about 8 inches wide x 7 inches high.
Directions:
HOT PAD: Working with two strands of white yarn as one, ch 21.
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch across, ch 1, turn: 20 scs.
Row 2: Sc in each st across, ch 1, turn: 20 scs.
Rows 3-20: Repeat Row 2: 20 scs.
Ch 10, sl st in last st of Row 20 for hanging loop. Fasten off.
Use yarn or tapestry needle to weave in all loose ends.
TURKEY: Body: Round 1: With brown, ch 4 for first dc, dc in fourth ch from hk 13 times, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch: 14 dcs.
Round 2: Ch 3 for first dc, dc in same st, work 2 dcs in each remaining dc around, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch: 28 dcs. Fasten off.
Head: With brown, ch 4 for first dc, dc in fourth ch from hk 13 times, join with a sl st in top of beginning ch: 14 dcs. Fasten off.
Beak: With gold, ch 2, sl st in second ch from hk. Fasten off. Use yarn or tapestry needle to weave in all loose ends.
Feather: With red, ch 7, sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch across, work 2 scs in last ch, sc in each ch along opposite side. Fasten off.
Repeat to make one feather each of orange, yellow and green yarn.
Feet: With gold, ch 4, sl st in fourth ch from hk, ch 4, sl st in fourth ch from hk. Fasten off.
Finishing: Use yarn or tapestry needle to weave in all loose ends.
ASSEMBLY: Referring to photo as a guide, glue body and then head to hot pad. Glue feathers around top outer edge of body and feet to lower edge of body. Glue beak to center of turkey's head. Glue eyes above beak. Let dry.
ABBREVIATIONSch(s) chain(s)dc(s) double crochet(s)hk hooksc(s) single crochet(s)sl st slip stitchst(s) stitch(es)
Blessings, GG

10 comments:
That is so cute. Oh my gosh, reading the instructions was like reading a foreign language. I have NO idea what all that means. You've guessed by now that I don't crochet, right? However, I can appreciate it and leave for those who do. (That white yarn looks soft and cuddly.)
Have a blessed day.
I'm with Rose on that, can't crochet, but boy are they cute!!
Gill in Canada
I love them! Thanks for sharing them and the instructions with us grammy :)
Hugs
Okay, I've just come to realize that I haven't crocheted in 32 years. Gulp! My mother taught me when I was very little and I made a little afghan. I've never read any crocheting instructions; I just learned by watching Mom.
I think I still have my hook, though. I'll have to look to be sure. I wonder if I'm smart enough to figure out how to do it once again?! Heehee
Those sure are adorable pot holders!
I found these in Country Woman a few years back...I hope I gave credit to the person who designed them. .....Ok I did , whew.
These make the adorable little Thanksgiving favors. They work up really fast. If you crochet it is just single crochet and double crochet. I have always had "knitters" envy. But have never had the patience for the work involved so I resorted to crocheting. This is a great project with kids I do the pieces and they put them together.
Blessings, GG
These look so easy, fun and FAST! Which is what I'll need to be (fast) if I want to make them this year.
GG, Thanks for posting the pattern!
They go really fast Laurie....I have got to head over to your blog to see if you have revealed what is on your knitting machine lol.
Blessings, GG
Aaah, I haven't revealed it yet! But soon, I promise!
oh poosh... Now you know I'm going to have to start yet another project. These are just too cute! lol
Thank you for sharing Grammy.
They are definately more cute than functional. Lol
Blessings, GG
Post a Comment